Ha-Shilth-Sa

Announcements

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

There are 376 candidates representing 19 political parties, independents and individuals not affiliated with a registered party.  Voting is available at district electoral offices, by mail, at any advance voting place May 8 – 11, and at any general voting place Tuesday, May 14, 2013.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Hey there photographers: Join the Ha-Shilth-Sa Photography Club! Each month we’ll give you three (3) themes and you can decide what to shoot to match the theme. We’ll put the photos on our Web site for all to see. And three lucky photos will be awarded Ha-Shilth-Sa T-shirts for their creators.

Here’s the catch… you can only submit two photos per theme.

Email your photos to hashilthsa@nuuchahnulth.org

Deadline is May 20, 2013. Subject line “Photo Club”

When you send a photo, make sure you tell us what theme the photo goes with.

Include your name; your email address; your phone number; and a bit of an explanation of what your photograph is about.

Remember, this is a family friendly newspaper so only photographs suitable for kiddies to grannies and everyone in between will be included.

This month’s themes are:

Community Pride

Springtime

Working

 

 

Monday, April 15, 2013

Michelle Corfield, founder of Citizens to Save Our Harbour Coalition, is excited to hear that the proposed privatization of Nanaimo Boat Basin, the visiting vessel pier and the other leases, such as the floating restaurants, will remain under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government through the Nanaimo Port Authority (NPA).

The NPA today announced that the memorandum of agreement (MOA) it signed with Pacific Northwest Marina Group in May 2012 has not been extended past its April 1st, 2013 deadline. Pacific Northwest Marina Group will no longer be taking on the revitalization and long-term lease of the Nanaimo marina. The MOA was signed to work towards a 30-year lease of the Nanaimo marina.

“I have been vocally opposed to the privatization of our public working harbour since the announcement in May of last year,” said Corfield. “I have worked endless hours to gather information so that we, the public, could have a full and complete understanding of the potential impact of the privatization.”

Currently the NPA generates millions of dollars a year from the current activities within the harbour, and in turn the City and businesses of Nanaimo see an economic benefit that would have been lost if the deal had gone through, she said.

“I believe that the true iconic value of the Harbour has been preserved for future generations. We now are presented with a real opportunity for our friends, the Snuneymuxw First Nation, to have their voice heard and included in our public working harbour. This truly is a day that all citizens of Nanaimo, British Columbia, and Canada can celebrate,” Corfield said.

Corfield said she is encouraged and very confident that we can collaborate on how to move forward collectively and create the best harbour on the east coast of Vancouver Island. We have an amazing asset in our harbour.

“Let’s work together to make Nanaimo Harbour a place of inclusion; a place for everyone.”

For more information, please contact Michelle Corfield at michellecorfield@shaw.ca

 

Sunday, April 14, 2013

The "Save Our Harbour" (SOH) coalition has released a questionnaire to Nanaimo and Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates in the BC general election on May 14.

The coalition wants to know where candidates stand on privatizing Nanaimo's only public marina.

Questions include:

* How would you appoint directors to the board(s) of Port Authorities?

* What should be their job-description?

* How, specifically, would you resolve the current controversy?

Deadline for responses is April 30, at which time the information will be collated and posted on the group's website: http://saveourharbour.wordpress.com/

For more information: Michelle Corfield at michellecorfield@shaw.ca

Background informationlinks:

Save Our Harbour Coalition:

http://saveourharbour.wordpress.com/

Nanaimo Port Authority:

http://npa.ca/

Nanaimo Harbour History

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blX4306BWAY

Staying Afloat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV--e1IlP2c

Nanaimo Harbour Visions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4lUHHPa294

Friday, April 5, 2013

Press Release

The Idle No More movement may not be front-and-centre in national media coverage right now, but that doesn’t mean Aboriginal students, staff and alumni at Simon Fraser University have forgotten about it.

The global grassroots movement aimed at getting the Canadian government to resolve longstanding Aboriginal economic and social issues movement came to life last fall.

On Monday, April 8, starting at 11 a.m., SFU students, alumni, faculty and staff will come together to hold an Idle Nor More rally at the Burnaby campus.

The campus community has organized the free, public event with the support of several SFU organizations. They include the First Nations Student Association (FNSA), the Women’s Centre, the Office for Aboriginal Peoples (OAP) and the Simon Fraser Public Interest Research Group.

Several FNSA members and community members will speak until about 3:00 p.m. at Convocation Mall and Freedom Square.

“We want to educate the general SFU population about Aboriginal peoples today, our histories, and also to raise awareness about the many common misconceptions that are prevalent in our society about them,” says Lindsay Wainwright. The SFU biology student is a key event organizer.

“We believe that decolonization in Canada needs to be a group process that involves both indigenous people and settlers. We want to help the SFU community to understand what decolonization means and why it's important. Our hope is that people who attend the rally will be inspired to take action and learn more.”

Among the speakers at the event, which will feature First Nations drumming and singing, are SFU history associate professor Elise Chenierand Jennifer Allan.

Chenier teaches courses on the history of sexuality and Canadian social history. Allan is a First Nations human rights advocate, activist and founder of Jen’s Kitchen, an advocacy, outreach and food relief service for women in Vancouver’s survival sex trade.

William Lindsay, OAP director, says: “This event exemplifies how SFU Aboriginal students are leading community discussion about issues of importance. Such students are educated about the Idle No More movement, they are tech savvy and they have the core leadership skills necessary for putting something like this together. I am proud of them.”

SFU was among the first of the British Columbian universities to stage an event aimed at generating discussion about the Idle No More movement. OAP co-held an old fashioned teach-in about it in early January.

Simon Fraser University is Canada's top-ranked comprehensive university and one of the top 50 universities in the world under 50 years old. With campuses in Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey, B.C., SFU engages actively with the community in its research and teaching, delivers almost 150 programs to more than 30,000 students, and has more than 120,000 alumni in 130 countries.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Commercial fishers across Canada will soon be required to register and pay for their fishing licences online.

On April 1, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) began transitioning to a national online licensing system.

The system replaces the in-person service previously offered at regional offices across the country.

In order to use the system, fishers will need to have email addresses and bank accounts. The site accepts both credit and debit cards, though fishers may also pay in person at a national bank providing they have an invoice for the fees owed (printed from their online account) or their online licensing account number.

To access the site for the first time, fishers will need an individual pass code. DFO will mail these pass codes to commercial and communal-commercial licence holders (including fisher registration card holders) and to an appointed person in organizations that hold commercial fishing licences.

DFO will mail the passcode to harvesters in a phased approach, so not all fishers will receive their codes at the same time. During the phase-in, DFO licensing personnel will be available as usual at existing DFO offices.

After harvesters receive their passcodes, however, they should use the online system. (Pass codes will only be valid until June 30, 2013.) Upon registering with the new online system, each fisher will be able to view their holdings, pay licensing fees, and renew and print their licences.

The new system is available 24-hours a day and is one of several changes being introduced in 2013 as the federal government transfers the cost of managing the fishery from taxpayers onto the industry.

Fishers unable to access the internet may designate an alternate person to access their accounts and make payments. Instruction manuals and video tutorials are available online through the DFO Web site at: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/sdc-cps/licence-permis-eng.htm

Help is also available at 1-877-535-7307 or by e-mail at fishing-peche@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

In-person support for using the system is available by appointment.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Press Release from Mainstream Canada

We were all shaken and saddened when we discovered a dead humpback whale at our Ross Pass farm this morning.

Our farmers and managers have decades of experience in salmon farming, and no one has ever experienced an incident like this before.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) was notified and fisheries officers attended the site immediately. With the help of an independent expert from Strawberry Island Marine Research Society, the whale was removed from the site. DFO and the independent expert are directing the follow-up investigation.

At this time, we don’t know for sure what happened but it appears a dead whale drifted into the farm site. As it decomposed, gases raised the carcass to the surface. The carcass floated up beside and underneath the main containment net. No fish escaped.

Containment nets at the site were inspected by divers only two days prior to this event. They observed nothing unusual during the inspection. No whales have been observed near this farm or near any other farms in the region for several months.

“This is a very unusual incident and was an unfortunate surprise for the staff who discovered it,” said Fernando Villarroel, Mainstream Canada’s managing director. “We are working with DFO and Strawberry Island Marine Research Society to understand what happened and will make all resources available to find answers.”

Mainstream Canada will publish an update if new information becomes available.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Time for action to end violence against women

On International Women's Day, the BC First Nations Leadership Council expresses its greatest respect to all women who collectively contribute to the strength and security of our families, communities and Nations.

BC Assembly of First Nations Regional Chief Jody Wilson-Raybould stated "International women’s day is an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of women across the globe but also a time to reflect on the challenges far too many women still face; in particular the need to take action to end violence against women and girls. Incidences of violence against aboriginal women remain far too high and a deadly violation of women's rights. . We call on the provincial and federal governments to work with First Nations and increase our collective efforts to end violence against women and girls."

"Unfortunately, every First Nation in BC knows the great sorrow of losing one of their daughters, one of their mothers or one of their aunties to senseless violence. Given the many police investigations, criminal prosecutions or cold cases in the downtown eastside of Vancouver and along the many highways across the country, it is unacceptable that the Government of Canada continues to ignore the need for a full and thorough public inquiry into the missing and murdered women of our communities” said Grand Chief Edward John of the First Nations Summit Political Executive.

Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs concluded “We must learn from the horrific murders and disappearances of our loved ones. We cannot allow these tragedies to slowly disappear. We must act, we must continue to fight for the victims and their families to find them justice and peace. We must begin with a national inquiry where the findings can be used to develop a coordinated and comprehensive national plan of action that ensure impartial and timely investigations, prosecutions, convictions of those responsible for disappearances and murder of First Nations women.”

International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future and in some countries is a national holiday. International Women's Day honours the work of the Suffragettes, celebrates women's success, and reminds of inequities still to be redressed. The firstInternational Women's Day event was run in 1911.

The First Nations Leadership Council is comprised of the political executives of the BC Assembly of First Nations, First Nations Summit, and the Union of BC Indian Chiefs.

 

Friday, March 1, 2013

The work continues for the Save Our Harbour Coalition with a public forum of stakeholder groups who oppose the 30-year private business lease of the Nanaimo Boat Basin.

The focus of an upcoming Town Hall Meeting—Monday, March 4th at 7 pm at the Nanaimo Conference Centre—is to provide an update on the four identified streams of activity being employed to halt the Nanaimo Port Authority’s plan to privatize Nanaimo’s downtown boat basin and marina—Legal, Political, Economic Impact, and Alternative Vision.

There also will be revealed new information in respect to Nanaimo Harbour.

The questions that will be discussed include:

Who is the new “private company”contracted by the Nanaimo Port Authority? Rents for waterfront businesses will increase by 80 per cent under this new regime, threatening possible closure of existing businesses, so

Why are City Taxpayers fundingthe Nanaimo Economic Development Corporation to the tune of $1.5 million this year to develop new business?

Why is the Fishing Fleet being forced outof Nanaimo when it brings $16 million each year into the city?

“The battle we are embroiled in today was fought and won back in the 1970s,” said Dr. Michelle Corfield, whose commercial fishing vessels will be removed from the harbour if the NPA plan goes ahead.

What happens to access for the residents of Protection Island? "Protection Islanders’ access to the world will be dictated by private business. We will be reduced to second class citizens," said Dave Carter, Protection Island representative.

And

Where is City Council in all this? City Council has been invited to attend the forum. Nanaimo Port Authority has also been invited.

Everyone with an interest in this issue is encouraged to attend the forum.For more information Email: savetheharbour@gmail.com or phone 250-741-7540 or visit the webpage at saveourharbour.wordpress.com

 

 

 

Monday, February 25, 2013

Copyright 2010 Ha-Shilth-Sa. All Rights Reserved.

Developed by Alberni Design | Login