This is a career opportunity for an aspiring leader to take on the role of Director of Fisheries for the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council (NTC). This permanent, full-time position is based out of Port Alberni.
The Director of Fisheries collaborates with 14 Nuu-chah-nulth First Nations to achieve a wide variety of fisheries-related goals, objectives, and strategic vision to advance the fisheries interests of Nuu-chah-nulth Nations. As a leader, the Director of Fisheries will influence the development and implementation of resource management strategies. This position is accountable for the overall management of the NTC Fisheries Program (Uu-a-thluk), including policies, technical support, field oversight, administers contracts and fisheries agreements; and reports to the NTC Executive, Directors, Ha’wiih, Nations and their members.
- Requires minimum of a master’s degree in fishery/marine sciences or closely related field.
- 10-15 years of progressive experience in the Fish/Aquatic natural resources sector in western Canada, including program management, employee supervision, and program administration.
- Solid track record of building and maintaining relationships across a wide spectrum of participants in management and governance processes.
- Practical experience in fish population and aquatic ecology assessments, stock assessment, and restoration planning and implementation.
- Understanding of fisheries issues, policies and legislation affecting BC First Nations, with ability to interpret and provide strategic direction with respect to federal and provincial government initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to develop funding proposals, manage agreements and budgets, and report effectively to funders.
- Knowledge of marine and coastal governance structures and approaches as these impact fisheries.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess a valid BC Driver’s License and reliable vehicle for business travel.
- Provide references and an acceptable criminal record check.
- Able to demonstrate compliance with NTC’s “double vaccination” COVID-19 policy.
Competitive Benefits and Salary Range: $95,000 – $127,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Open until filled. Apply by sending your cover letter,
resume, and 3 references (available to contact) to:
Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council
P.O. Box 1383, Port Alberni, B.C. V9Y 7M2