The NTC Education Department is seeking a permanent, full-time Nuu-chah-nulth Cultural Development Supervisor to be responsible for the development and enhancement of Nuu-chah-nulth operational and culture educational supports in elementary and secondary schools serving Nuu-chah-nulth students. This position is a key member of the Education, Training & Social Development Department leadership team, will work to expand awareness with respect to cultural teachings and holistic approaches to pre-school education through to Grade 12, and provide administrative supervision over data collection in SD 70 & 84.
- Provide operational supervision for the Nuu-chah-nulth Education Workers in SD 84 and SD 70
- To enhance relationships with Nuu-chah-nulth resource people able to offer cultural support to area schools, including the promotion of Nuu-chah-nulth language and cultural events in schools
- Monitor the implementation of Local Education Agreements between school districts and the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council, and provide analysis and recommendations to senior staff
- Work with school districts and various levels of government to prepare statistical reports relating to student enrolment, achievements, progress, etc.
- University degree in a related field or a combination of education and a demonstrated knowledge of culturally appropriate curricula
- Direct experience in teaching and/or counselling students, and exposure to youth oriented environments
- Familiarity with Nuu-chah-nulth culture, traditions and language considered an asset
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and people skills to effectively liaise with teaching staff, the school administration, support staff, member First Nations and workers in a range of community agencies
- Ability to apply culturally appropriate teachings and its connection to student success
- Knowledge of existing historical barriers to active community and parent involvement in their child’s education
- Provide acceptable references and criminal record check
- Must have a car, valid driver’s license, and able to travel to NTC Communities
To learn more about this social work opportunity contact Ian Caplette, Director of Education, Training and Social Development by email: Ian.Caplette@nuuchahnulth.org.
Apply by February 22, 2019 by sending your cover letter, three references (available to contact) and resume to:
Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council
P.O. Box 1383
Port Alberni, BC V9Y 7M2
Attn.: Human Resource Manager
Fax: (250) 723-0463
(We regret that we will only respond to those applicants chosen for an interview)