The Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government is a member of the Maa-nulth Treaty Society and, through the Maanulth First Nations Final Agreement, is a modern treaty Nation operating with a government-togovernment relationship with Canada and the province of British Columbia. As a Self-Governing Indigenous Government, the Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government continues to promote education and community programs that enhance Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ identity.
The Intermediate Accountant is responsible for day-to-day accounting functions. This encompasses recording, tracking, monitoring funding agreements from an accounting and reporting perspective, within accounting software, preparing draft financial and budget variance reports, and liaising with departments. The position completes and/or assists in other Finance areas as: PST/GST filings; bank and other balance sheet account reconciliations; recording journal entries; monitoring compliance with policies; audit preparation; financial analysis; and guiding/assisting other finance staff. The Intermediate Accountant reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Training, Education and Experience
- Secondary school graduation.
- Completion of third year from a recognized accounting education program leading to a professional accounting designation or equivalent experience.
- Current Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence and access to vehicle.
- Satisfactory criminal records check.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and public sector accounting board guidelines.
- Demonstration of following, implementing, and monitoring policies and procedures that are consistent with best practices.
- Solid bookkeeping skills and experience, including: entries, reconciliations, reporting, accounts receivables, accounts payable and payroll.
- Has maintained and supervised complex financial records and at least 2 staff.
- Experience with Contribution Agreements, including: accruals accounting; classification and tracking on a program basis; preparing of financial reports; monitoring variances.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and understand roles of a range of departments, including: Lands; Community Services; Assets; Culture, Language, and Heritage.
- Knowledge of First Nations or local government accounting and the requirements of ISC/CIRNAC.
- Considerable knowledge of personal and network computer systems and relevant accounting software, specifically Adagio; Purchase Order and Invoice Processing software, e.g. Spendwise or similar program; Payroll System e.g. PayDirt or similar.
- Ability to use all features of spreadsheet, word processing, reporting and presentation software and a network computerized accounting system at an advanced level (Office 360).
- Ability to do detailed work with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to mentor and lead by example.
- Ability to provide education and guidance to co-workers in accounting procedures.
- Ability to anticipate and balance multiple demands and priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel as required for the position.
- Excellent client service skills. Friendly, positive, responsive, professional and helpful.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Able to work independently with minimal day-to-day supervision as well as working within a collaborative team framework.
- Genuine respect for Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ traditions, culture and protocols.
- The Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government is a living wage employer
- Group benefits that include health, dental, vision, long/short-term disability, etc. are fully covered by the Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government
Please submit your covering letter, resume and/or how you meet these requirements to the attention of the Director of Operations, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (778-942-0657), by mail (P.O. Box 699, Ucluelet, BC, V0R 3A0) or in person (700 Wya Road, Hitacu, BC).
In accordance with the CHRC Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy and the Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ
Government hiring policies, preference will be given to citizens of the Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ or individuals of other
Application deadline: Open until filled.