The Ka:’yu:’k’t’h’/Che:k’tles7et’h’ First Nations (KCFN) is seeking a Master Carver who can research local history and artistic designs and produce a concept design to be incorporated into our Big House.
Minimum services to include in proposal:
Research historical artistry for the Ka:’yu:’k’t’h’/Che:k’tles7et’h’ First Nations;
- Through Nation owned archives, museums, BC Archives, cultural sites, etc.
- Meet with leaders, elders, and community; gathering stories and learning of the history of our peoples.
- Work with KCFN members wanting to be part of the research, as an opportunity to learn.
- Work with the Big House Committee in making artistic design decisions
- Utilize research to come up with conceptual designs for significant components of the big house; four house posts and two cross beams.
- Written description of the designs, identifying the historical significance, stories, etc.
- Design sketches of major components
- Work with the Committee and leaders to finalize design
- Create budget for the research and concept design phase
- Create budget based on full scope of the work: carving and painting using paid and volunteer artists.
Qualifications and Skills
- Master Carver – able to carve totems and other large-scale projects
- Good Research skills
- Works well with the Big House Committee, elders and leaders of the Ka:’yu:’k’t’h’ and Che:k’tles7et’h’
- Able to work with professions; architect, contractors, engineers, etc.
- Demonstrate ability to teach youth and lead a team of carvers at various experience levels
- Must reside in Houpsitas or have accommodation available in Houpsitas
- Must be dependable and reliable
- Include photos of your work in progress and completed and installed pieces
Closing Date: 4:30 pm on April 14, 2020
Send your proposal and portfolio of work to
Big House and Community Centre Committee, C/O Cynthia Blackstone, CAO,
Fax: (250) 332-5210,
Mail: General Delivery, Kyuquot, BC V0P 1J0,
Thank you in advance for your proposal.Late proposal will not be accepted.