The Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council’s Teechuktl (Mental Health) Program is seeking a term, full-time Harm Reduction Outreach Worker to provide culturally based support to Nuu-chah-nulth Central Region individuals, families, and communities, with an emphasis of providing support to First Nations people involved in high-risk lifestyles.
Based out of Port Alberni (travel to West Coast area is required) this position will communicate with various service providers and coordinate activities to support wellness and healing within a culturally safe framework. This position will work evenings and weekends and provide outreach support to Nuu-chah-nulth clients away from home as well as in community.
- Establish relationships with persons at risk and provide outreach services directly to them as needed.
- Provide information about Drugs & Alcohol, Opioids, Harm Reduction and Services available.
- Work collaboratively with cross-sector service provider/partners in developing individualized and effective, strength-based, and culturally competent support plans.
- Have knowledge of Addiction services.
- Make referrals for urban individuals to appropriate resources.
- Provide ongoing support for treatment including follow up (i.e. reminders of appointments, transportation to pharmacies for medication).
- Develop and facilitate educational workshops and group discussions.
- Minimum Diploma required in Human Services or Addictions, plus 3-5 years of professional experience (ideally working with the at-risk population).
- Knowledge of trauma-informed service practice, complex and intergenerational trauma.
- Possessing a compassionate personality and ability to work under pressure is paramount.
- Effective organization and time management skills, computer literate in the workplace.
- Knowledge of Nuu-chah-nulth governance, culture, and traditions; or being a First Nations person will be considered an asset.
- Must have a vehicle and valid driver’s licence.
- Provide acceptable references and criminal record check.
Salary based on qualifications and experience: annual salary range $60,000 - $86,000.
Apply by 1pm February 21, 2024 by email with a cover letter, resume and three references (available to contact) to:
Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council
P.O. Box 1383 Port Alberni, BC V9Y 7M2
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for this position.