Ahtsik Native Art Gallery
Date: Saturday December 17, and Sunday December 18, 2011
Time: 11 to 5:30pm
Doug David – Tla o qui aht (Sunday only)
Randy Atleo – Ahousaht (Saturday only)
Ray Sim – Salish
Maria Desnoyer - Heshquiaht
Ahtsik Gallery Artist/Owner: Gordon Dick - Nuu-chah-nulth Artist
Come and see artists create their art in house. Observe wood carving, painting and Basket Weaving. Enter a draw to win a Gift Certificate for Ahtsik Native Art Gallery.
- Gordon Dick feels fortunate to be able to practice his cultural art because his ancestors held onto their identity. Gordon enjoys carving large pieces and structural art for homes and buildings.
- Ray Sim is a Salish artist who has lived in Port Alberni for 40 years and has been adopted by a Nuu-chah-nulth family.He has taught art at various local schools.
- Doug David carves cedar and makes rattles, sculptures, bowls, and has also been taught plains style art from his mother.
- Maria Desnoyerlearned how to pick cedar bark and weave from her mother. She likes to weave baskets and bracelets.
- Randy Atleo learned from various uncles and enjoys carving red cedar and painting. He has been creating art part time for 13 years.
Gordon Dick, Artist/Owner has succeeded in his dream of building and owning an art gallery to promote local First Nations artists. He encourages locals and visitors to come into the e eHegallery, see artists at work, view the art, do some holiday shopping and enjoy refreshments. Ahtsik Gallery is located at 7133 Pacific Rim Highway, Port Alberni.
Ahtsik Native Art Gallery is open every day for the month of December from 10:30am to 5pm and closing at 4pm on December 24th. We are Closed Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years day. Regular Hours are 10:30 to 5pm Mon, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun.
For more information, contact Gordon Dick at 250-723-3425 or firstname.lastname@example.org